It was almost fun and therapeutic once I had the right adhesives in place. I thought about figuring out a way to create some kind fancy algorithm so that I could create a mathematically generated pattern and then I realized that I was, as I tend to do, overthinking it when I could just do it the simple way...glue one pipe...then eyeball it, and then the next.
I used a piece of plywood to serve as my staging area ad I realized that a small metal spatula is super handy for separating the pvc...one of those lucky moments when I thought the entire project was glued to the plywood until I tried the spatula (thinking that PVC glue pretty much just sticks PVC).
So there will be more detail coming soon...today's lesson learned, use the right tool for the right job, especially when it comes to glue, it makes your project so much easier!
Update...made a smaller simpler one that can be customized, actually LOVE the way it looks just plain.